Pages

Sunday, August 2, 2020

Welcome to the Jungle

DFI - 2-Workflow


Finally, week two online made more sense.  I began to understand the Manaiakalani Kaupapa and Pedagogy. Dorothy explained  how digital technology accelerates learning through the acronym:

RATE 

Recognise -recognise effective practice and teacher actions promote student learning. 
Amplify -technology amplifies teaching and learning opportunities by making it connected, visible, ubiquitous and empowering. 
Turbocharge - meaning that technology transforms the way we teach and learn by making experiences more creative. 
Effective-translates to practice.

I also began to see the reasoning for the show and tell, explore, learn, create, deep dive and share way of delivery for this course.  The pace is still frantic and this view is shared by others in the forum.  However, it is all linked and there for lots of diving into later when time permits.  For now, it is progressing steadily.

There were some areas covered today that were really beneficial and others not so much for me. Looking into google suite, Gmail, Calendar, Keep and Meet was interesting and there was a lot I didn't know.  However, I don't feel that there was worth in learning and doing some things that may only be used on an occasional basis eg Keep and Meet.  The Keep function doesn't work for me for saving whatever but I do see how it may be a great tool for others.  Using Meet over lock down was obviously a 'thrown in the deep end' scenario but we survived and learned a lot as we went along.  I did enjoy the Gmail section and using tabs effectively as I have way too many open all the time!  Knowing how to clean up my email was also great.  Therapeutic even.  I love order.  

I am finding the little activities we do beneficial.  We dropped in our 'favourite' places and song using Google Maps and You Tube.  You find out really interesting things about others just by a little activity like this. We use this type of activity in the classroom so we know the students and their interests.  It builds a nice picture and creates an awareness of others.  

I loved doing the scavenger hunt using all the embedded links to actually use the 'tools' we had spoken about at the learning session.  To be able to sit down and go through each activity was so worthwhile.  I am going to recreate or co-create with my class one of a similar nature to embed some digital learning and have fun along the way!

Funnily enough for an online course it was ironic that it was marred by lost connections and lots of muffled/delayed speech. Thanks to Dave for his patience as I floated in and out.  I am enjoying the bubble I am in immensely.  Im hoping that it was just one of "those days" and look forward to an uninterrupted lesson next week. 

Till then.





2 comments:

  1. What a great post title Rhonda “Welcome to the Jungle”. This is the type of lead in which makes us want to read more and will work well with your learners. I like that you are seeing the match of pedagogy with kaupapa. The application of the digital tools that work for us is often a personal thing at and I like the way that you've considered calendar keep and meet and their context for you. Each little skill that we can put in our kete makes it easier for us to achieve in a digital space. Sorry that you got hit with connectivity issues. I appreciate the advances in New Zealand’s infrastructure bringing more reliable networks. We are now able to support something like the online dfi with people participating across the country. It will only get better too. Thanks for your share. Kids do like to connect and share just as I liked finding out the Dead Flowers is a favorite song for you. Unfortunately I will be in Wellington this Friday and luckily Kerry who I think you know will be taking care of our bubble.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dave. Re the internet connection or lack of, it's a Far North peculiarity...sometimes great and sometimes rubbish. We make do and live to connect another day!. Have a fab time in the Capital..see you the following week.

      Delete